Friday, December 15, 2006

Joey Columbo/Hi8tus Interview



First off, get up on Joey Columbo's site (click here) to see some wild photography. The guy is out of Vallejo CA, knows YaBoy, and can ride and party hard. Also, Hubba's Hideout is uncapped and getting sessioned. My boy Jackson gets bossy in SF.


The newest DVD out of the North East of England, 'Hi8us', is being premiered in Newcastle, UK tomorrow night. Its the home of the NSF amongst other things, and Pete Greaves is the man with the plan. Read on for an interview...

1. What's the deail with Hi8us?


First off, Hi8-T-us. Everyone says I should have called it Hi8us but I guess that's how my Sheffield tongue deals with the number 8. Basically summertime last year I realised I had a load of footage saved up so I figured I'd make a vid. Most of that footage ended up not making the cut, basically when I started I wanted to do a vid just so I could get to do the editing side and production side for myself really. Then people started sending themselves for it... Tom 'Poindexter' Bright came on board with a load of footage of some of the Sunderland posse, Scott and Dawson wanted to do sections and basically before I knew it there were a load of people who are shit hot on their bikes involved. Having said all that, The creative side of it was still really cool and if theres one thing that me and Tom totally nailed about this video it's the aftereffects and production. Think yeah right without the budget...


2. Have you drawn on any inspiration whilst making the dvd?

From a creative point of view I loved Yeah Right! and wanted to do some of that sort of stuff with BMX. In terms of BMX videos that have come out lately I wasn't really influenced by anything, I can't speak for Tom but obviously as the starting point of the video was filming it with a camera that I got for christmas as a shared present with my bro 10 years ago theres not too much about these days that I could copy! I like what Chad Shack does with having a theme throughout the vid for the graphics and whatnot in Shook but I think they've been getting increasingley souless since its just the person who can drop the most hammers who he films and not his mates. Not a diss, I will always buy Shook for cutting edge riding but they're just a bit too cool for me. It doesn't make riding look fun, which I hope Hi8tus does.


3. Which filmographers do you like, any that you don't?


Joe Cox Innit. That preview he put up on the net was insane, and it still made it look fun. Wicked stuff. Ones that I don't... Fuck knows. Oh man I've just remembered, whoever made San to Van. Jesus. What a horrible video.


4. As a kid, did you look up to any VHS releases and think 'fuck yeah, im down with this?'


Jurassics Park, and I wouldn't say I was a kid when I saw it but my first BMX vid was criminal mischief. Stock as fuck answer but it's still the best video ever made for my money. Apart from fat pat riding to a radiohead instrumental obviously....


4b. where can i get a hold of the dvd from? Any international distributors out there want to join the hustle?


At the moment it's an out the bedroom operation, the good thing about that is I can just make as many as I need. Paypal £7.50 to pete.greaves@gmail.com with your address and drop me an e mail to say you've done so and I will hook you up. Same goes for outside the UK but make it £8 I guess. I'm making this up as I go along. Distributors get in touch if you want to.


5. If anything, what do you want to achieve with this dvd?


I wanted to do loads of editing and production, hence the multiple edits. I wanted to make some cheese as well.


6. whats the deal with the yanks stealing your dvd's name?


That will wind them up on so many levels. It's canadians I think, and they released their video way before me. However my vid has a different name, was named long before I'd heard of their video, and I doubt anyone in Canada will want to see it so I don't really get why they care. It was pretty good from what I've seen so I don't know why they don't just pipe down and let me get on with what I want to do.


7. any bigups or bigdowns along the way?
The downer was getting the original hi-8 camera nicked by 3 radge cunts. It had some good footy on it so it was canny harsh. Too many up points, we've had loads of wicked days out on our bikes and the big one is just seeing a big box of DVDs that you know you've made. I dare say the premiere will be a sweet night as well!

Any news you want on here, email me at dftudistro@hotmail.com. The weekend is here. Lets fucking rage! peaceout


No comments: